12.09.2014

Who we will become


As a young missionary I had just left my first area in January of 2009. I was ready for the move, it was time for me to leave the area. I had done what I needed to do there. My next area was Hamilton, OH which was right next to my previous area; in my own district even. My first two companions were elders who both said this was their favorite area. They were both goofballs and had become complacent for what the area was. Hamilton was considered a stuck in rut area by those who were closely familiar with it.

I was determined to leave it better than I arrived for however long it was. One night after meeting with our ward mission leader with my second companion there I pressed him and with my eagerness suggested ways of involving the members. He told us that members had expressed that we were waiting to help until they got different elders. The companion I was with was one his last transfer. He had been to Hamilton serving previous. Because the members didn’t see what they thought was pleasing progress or behavior they didn’t trust us and didn’t want us going anywhere near their friends. Or at least for the people who expressed concern to our ward mission leader.

I didn’t want any part of this accusation even by extension. So that night I went home and in one of the most fervent prayers of my life asked for heavens help. I explained the situation to the Lord, what I thought of our predicament, and asked for help. I explained that I accepted that I wouldn't know exactly what to do, but that I would go and do whatever we would have to do. I told him I’d knock on every door in the city if that is what it meant. I just didn't want my time wasted or miss the opportunity to help someone he sent me there to help. I made a promise that I never broke from there on out.

Sure enough, I made sure day in and out we were out on time and we were in on time. I was sincere and genuine in all that I did. I gave my very best and I wouldn't let up even if I was tired. I sent my companion off with a bang. Oddly enough, the next companion I got was the most energetic person I ever knew, his secret nickname I gave him was Mr. Friendly. As he became my companion I became the district leader of my old area.

Quickly we began to gain trust of the people we met. I was helping the two new elders in oxford understand the nature of that area and still letting them figure it out. I had us holding weekly instruction on better social conduct of tracting, which helped the Elders quite a bit.

Our area was really gaining traction and we were busy teaching and helping people. I was busy every day and we were doing miracles in that area. Then out of the blue our wards bishop passing away.
He was one to never give up on his family, his callings, his work, and certainly the Lord. The night before he died he called me up because he was concerned about a certain family that we would like us to see the next day that might need our help. I asked if he wanted to come, he said, “No, I will be busy. I’m excited to go give a family in the ward their recommends so they can be sealed.”

This man was always so eager to serve other people. He lived his life for others even as the savior did. I felt the same love for Hamilton as he did. His life to this day is a type and shadow of everything that area had taught me. Sometimes life becomes difficult. Sometimes it seems as though you might not be able to accomplish something. The choice of what happens next is still yours to make. We won’t know everything that we have to do, but there is One that can guide us. Seek Him in honest and sincere prayer. Be active in your prayers, explain your situation, what your understanding is, and ask for help for worthy goals and you will receive it. My one hope was to use my time to the best of my abilities to help people.

In many ways it always will be. I find that if all I did was live just for myself, my life would be a waste. It just wouldn't mean anything it would have just exist in a memory of what I did for myself. I am no longer a steward of 62,447 people. But I am of my family, my boy scouts, and those that I can associate or meet with in my busy life. The situations will always change as time passes on, but one

thing that won’t is that I want to live to help those I can.


President Dieter F. Uchtdorf has said,

“For what we love determines what we seek.

What we seek determines what we think and do.

What we think and do determines who we are—and who we will become”


I love the Lord, with all whole soul and I am grateful for the opportunities he gives me to serve. I know if I give my best to worthy pursuits which would lead me to help others he will help me get there. The work we do for others and those we love will live on forever in the happiness for those that we help.

No comments: