11.18.2010

Whey Low, Keifer and Weight Oh My!

So I've been doing the whole "no sugar" thing for 18 days now, and around last Saturday I realized that my life was going to be a whole lot sweeter if I invested in an artificial sweetener to bake and cook with.  The only problem with artificial sweeteners is...they're generally gross-bad after taste, bad during taste, sometimes even a bad before taste.  Aside from that, I have a very temperamental stomach, and a lot of the things I ingest tend to make me sick, artificial sweeteners being among them.

In my sweetener research (yes, I did sweetener research) I read about this sweetener called Whey Low. Digging a little deeper, I found out that there is only one store in Utah that sells it (and they only started doing so recently) and luckily for me, the store isn't terribly far from my house!  I'm such a lucky gal.  So I decided to take the plunge, I went out and bought the white sugar and brown sugar versions with every hope that they would not make me sick.  Well, I am still alive, and I think it is great!  No funky taste, you can substitute it for sugar straight across, and best of all, it doesn't affect my stomach in a negative way.  Wahoo!

I also love probiotic yogurt.  The kind I prefer is Lifeway Keifer.  It is available in some delicious flavors, is lower in sugar than traditional yogurt, helps with digestion and is just plain yummy.  It does have a unique zing to it that you don't get with regular yogurt, but I find that I enjoy it (some of you may not).  Keifer is my sweet indulgence.  If I feel like I want something for dessert, I generally reach for my bottle of yogurty goodness.

And since I'm on the topic of healthy eating and whatnot (not sure how that happened...oh wait, yes I do) I would like to add that I don't like it all that much.  I mean, I have had loads of compliments on how I look, and I generally feel better, but I still have my frumpy "I feel fat" days.  Ironic?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  The horrible thing about weight is that it fluctuates.  Meaning that although yesterday the scale may have informed me I had lost an additional 10 pounds, today I could be right back up there.  That's pretty mean if you ask me.

But yay for weight loss!  Just don't mention it...

1 comment:

Megan is Chuck. Chuck is Megan. said...

1) You do look amazing.
2) Isn't it funny how you still have frumpy days once you start losing weight?
3) Thank you for your investigative piece on Whey Low. I found it very informative.