8.24.2014

Chocolate Cherry Almond Tart

To thank my father-in-law for fixing The Justy, I decided to make him a cherry tart, since cherries are his favorite (mine too!).  I had a few ideas for it rolling around in my head for a while.

I knew I wanted cherries.

I knew I wanted chocolate ganache.

I knew I wanted a chocolate crust.

But I couldn't find a recipe that I was totally loving.

So I decided to make my own.  Behold!  Thus the Chocolate Cherry Almond Tart was born.















Chocolate Cherry Almond Tart

Ingredients:
Crust:

1 c. flour
1/4 c. cocoa
1/4 c. toasted almonds, finely ground
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. + 1Tbs unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 egg

Ganache:

8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (or chips are fine)
3/4 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
2 Tbs butter

Topping:

Cherries (pitted)
chopped almonds

Directions:
Crust:

Combine flour, cocoa, powdered sugar, almonds, and salt in a food processor.  Add butter pieces and pulse until the mixture becomes course crumbs.  Add egg and pulse until the mixture comes together (about 12 pulses or so).  Form a ball with the dough, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours (I let mine sit overnight).

Remove dough from fridge and let sit for a couple minutes so it is not rock hard as you try to roll it out (about 10 minutes).  Place dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll into a circle about 1/4" thick.  Transfer dough to a 12" tart pan and press dough into the sides and remove any dough that sits above the edge.  Pierce the bottom with a fork several times.  Place pan into the freezer for 1/2 an hour.

Preheat oven to 375.

Remove pan from freezer and lightly butter the shiny side of a piece of aluminum foil.  Place foil, butter side down on the unbaked crust.  Bake 20-25 minutes.  Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool completely before filling the crust.

Ganache:

Chop chocolate and place in a heat-proof bowl.  Set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat cream, butter, and extract until boiling.  Immediately pour the mixture over the chopped chocolate and cover with a piece of aluminum foil.  After a few minutes (I think I waited between 5 and 10 minutes), remove foil and stir the mixture until velvety and smooth.  Pour into your cooled crust.

Topping:

Place pitted cherries into the ganache and sprinkle with almond bits.

Allow the ganache to set before serving.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so yummy! He totally loves it!