8.22.2014

Sugar Cream Pie

Bruce is gone for the evening on a camping trip with his scouts, making this my first experience as a "Scouting Widow", as my mother-in-law and sister-in-law like to call it.

I decided to try my hand at making a sugar cream pie tonight since I obviously have some alone time on my hands.  My verdict is that it is quite delicious, but that I ultimately should have cooked it a little longer on the stove before pouring it in the pie shell so it would be thicker, and I'll be adding brown sugar to the top.  But I will definitely be making it again.

Enjoy!















Sugar Cream Pie

Ingredients:

1 9-inch pie shell (baked)
3/4 c. sugar
4 Tbs. cornstarch
4 Tbs. butter (melted)
2 1/4 c. half-and-half
1 tsp. vanilla

2 Tbs. butter (melted)
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Combine cornstarch and sugar.  Heat butter, half-and-half, and sugar/cornstarch mixture in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Heat broiler on high.

Pour custard mixture into prepared pie shell.  Mix cinnamon and brown sugar.  Drizzle butter over the custard mixture and sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.  Place under broiler until butter begins to bubble (this will happen quickly, so watch it closely).

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting, longer, if you can resist it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And so it begins! You are too funny! The pie looks amazing! We will have to start coordinating a girls night out when the men are gone at the same time.