6.24.2010

The walkings of a twenty-something single gal

I'm a walker.

Not a power-walker, that conjures up mental images of middle-aged ladies in flourescent windbreakers pumping their arms ferociously as they tear down the sidewalk, leaving dazed pedestrians in their wake.

No, I am the relaxed walker who just goes.  Generally there is no destination involved, and these walks could potentially go on for hours.

There are a few flies in the ointment however....

1. I generally walk alone.  It is easier than finding someone willing to go along with my sometimes erratic wanderings.  I have been informed of the perils associated with the danger of walking alone, creepy people, dogs, what if I get hurt?

2. I usually forget to bring my cellphone with me.  Coupled with the first one, this just spells "foolish" if I should actually happen to have something happen.

3. I don't wear "walking appropriate" shoes.  In my defense, I never intend to walk for very long, very far, up/down hills or along rivers.... it just happens

4. I am fairly adventurous.  So I end up walking far, long, up/down hills and along rivers.

5. I usually take these jaunts in the evening. Meaning, it gets dark....and if I don't have the sense to wear appropriate shoes, you can bet I don't have a flashlight.

6. I have a ridiculously overactive imagination.  You wouldn't believe how quickly I can freak myself out, and I'm extremely jumpy, a trait that many of my friends can attest to.

You're probably shaking your head at my general stupidity in these regards, and I don't blame you.  If someone told me they were doing these things, I'd probably do the same thing.  Or at least buy them some mace (which I also don't own).

C'est la vie. 

I'll just have to take a karate class so I can ninja chop all those threatening trees that keep trying to attack me.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I understand you. It doesn't seem right to walk in the dark, along rivers, and without cell phone or good shoes, but we still do it. You aren't crazy. We should get you a "walkers kit" which includes all the necessities. Maybe we'll even throw in a granola bar :)