10.08.2014

Mystery

Let me first and foremost say that this is Bruce writing and not Lisa. Of the few times I have wrote on here my mode of speech is different than Lisa's and I guess there has been some confusion.

I am writing today about a man who appears close to my age. I am going to name him Henry. Every Monday and Wednesday I basically live in pocatello for most of the day. I commute from Idaho Falls for an hour early in the morning to Pocatello. When I get off the bus it is my usual routine to goto the closest building which I frequent first to use the computer lab. Within the last two weeks or so Henry waits outside this building everytime I walk up to enter.

Henry is a very pleasant guy and he is always there holding the door open for people. Not just by passing, but waiting there for the early hours of the school day (7-8am). As far as I can tell he is a student here and possible has a mental handicap. But he is nonetheless a charming and well-behaved chap. I have on occasion in the last two weeks stopped before and asked how his day is. We talk briefly and pass.

Today he is sitting outside the door on a landscaping wall holding a single pink carnation.
Even as I am writing this in the computer lab on campus, I can look out my window now and see him waiting with the flower. I don't mean to seem strange in this manner of observation, but it is nonetheless interesting.

My mind has played out different scenarios. It is quite obvious that he could have been holding open the door for the last two weeks for a woman of his affection who happens to enter the building around the time I do. It could appear that finally Henry wants to perhaps ask his bonnie lass out on a date. Or perhaps they have been friends or more for awhile and this is the only time of the morning to see her.

Perhaps he has an unhealthy obsession and he is not as charming and well-behaved as I surmised. Of the very ritual and mundane parts of my morning, Henry is just quite simply a mystery. Whoever he is or whatever he is doing, I just hope its a good day for both him and his bonnie lass. I would be very upset if Henry was in fact a ill-willed or obsessive character.

No comments: