11.14.2014

Hitchcock did it better

Yesterday was...interesting.

When I woke up, I found myself to be incredibly dizzy.  So dizzy that each time I tried to stand, I fell back down almost immediately.  Everything just kept spinning.  I would try to regain my composure, attempt to stand again, only to be greeted once again by the floor, bed, or ottoman.

Then came the waves of nausea.

Bruce grabbed me the trash can from the bathroom as I prepared to lose everything.  But it didn't fully come.  My head just continued to swim.

Bruce managed to help me to my feet, but my strength was gone and I had to fully rely on him to support me as we slowly made our way to the bathroom (our bathroom is attached to our bedroom and it still took us probably 5-7 minutes to get there).

Bruce said he would take off work and tried to convince me to go to the doctor, but I urged Bruce to go to work, and told him that I would be fine (I've had recurring dizziness for years, though never to this extent...I still believed it would pass).  He left for work, and I once again tried to regain my focus.  It took me about a minute after he left to realize that I did in fact need to go to the doctor, but now I was in another room, my phone sat by my bedside...I only had one option...since I could not stand, I had to crawl back to the bedroom and call my husband to come back and take me to the doctor.

By the time he came back (only about 5 minutes later), the vomiting had already started.  And I was terrified.

It took us a considerable amount of time to get me dressed and out the door, Bruce holding me up and essentially carrying me to the car as my head and stomach competed with one another for the "Gymnast of the Year" award.

We made it to the doctor, and were eventually told that I most likely have what is known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), which is the most common form of vertigo, but normally occurs in people over the age of 50, unless the person has suffered a severe blow to the head (which I haven't).

He gave me a prescription for medication to help with the dizziness, and we went home, where I hunkered down on the couch, and found the only comfortable position I could...on my side, with my head to the left.  I paid the price each and every time I moved even a fraction of an inch, by vomiting.

I sent Bruce back to work, and fielded phone calls, texts, and other messages from concerned friends and family before passing out.

When Bruce came home from work, he called a physical therapist here in town to see if  could get in for an appointment for a procedure that is supposed to help with BPPV, but the earliest opening they had was on Monday.  After Bruce explained a bit to the gal on the phone, she said she would see about getting us in earlier, since she was skeptical it was even BPPV due to my age and the fact that I have not experienced head trauma.  So we have an appointment in about an hour to figure it all out.

We have our fingers crossed that everything will go well and that things can go back to normal.  I feel slightly better today than yesterday (I can stand up for short periods of time, and haven't vomited once yet).

I can assure you that vertigo is absolutely no picnic.  I far prefer the movie to the real thing.

No comments: