2.23.2010

A terrible thing to waste

The mind is such an incredible thing.
It can recall sights, sounds, smells, tastes, pains, frustrations, joys, sorrows and countless other feelings and impressions.
I am amazed at the clarity with which I can recall a trip to the beach, the smell of the salty sea air, the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, the feel of the sand under my feet and my feeling of immense nothingness. Feeling so small looking out across those rolling waves at the horizon.  Wanting to be swallowed up in it all.
I remember exploring forests, trails, nooks and crannies, walking late at night, staring up into the vast heavens and posing questions to the void.  I can recall my feelings of anxiety, anticipation and wonder as my questions were answered.
I can summon happy memories, feelings of serenity, past compliments, times of confidence and words of inspiration when I do not feel inspired or confident.
I can smell fresh cut grass on a hot summers day even in the middle of winter, smell the  rain on the pavement during a period when clouds have fled the sky, breathe deeply from your memories, it will lift your spirits!
Our minds can do a great many things, but only if we keep them active and alert, don't let yours fall idly by the wayside.  Afterall, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

No comments: