10.28.2009

The Long and the Short of it

My little.... no, he's not little anymore, my younger brother reported to the MTC this afternoon. How weird is that?!
I mean, I understand the concept of aging and progressing, growing and all that jazz, but seriously? Isn't he only like 10 years old?

I apparently have a hard time visualizing this. Which is funny being that I've only been living in Salt Lake for 3 years, and I have seen him at least a few times a year for each of those years, something inside tells me I should have noticed that the kid now stands somewhere around 6 foot or so and that I could probably no longer beat him at arm wrestling (which is incredibly sad, that one used to make me pretty happy). All that is lost on a brain like mine, he is forever going to be that short, blonde boy who drove me crazy throughout my childhood and adolescence.

However, as I saw him walk into my work this morning, his towering figure in a dark blue suit, I was forced to come to the realization that David is not in elementary school anymore (I'm a quick one, I know) and that the next time I see him, he'll be -gulp- an adult!

I am excited to see how he changes and grows while he's on his mission, both physically and spiritually. He and I have never been what I would call "close", but I really do love him and wish him all the best as he embarks on this next phase of his life, and I have to get it out now, because I'm horrible at letter writing (ask any of my siblings or friends who don't live near me).

So good luck out there Bro! And no, I can't believe you didn't take a camera with you.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I know exactly how you feel! My brother went into the MTC four months ago, and last I knew and lived with him, he was 13 and in junior high. What the crap happened?! It is kind of awesome to hear from him and see how he's kind of growing up, even in the first few months of the mission, though. Best of luck to your bro!