5.05.2011

H2O

The sound of rushing water!

Exhilarating and and refreshing, transports you to another place. A mountain stream in summer where the water trips and falls around the rocks, etching its way ever onward.  Or a country brook where animals drink nearby as you enjoy an afternoon walk.

Alas, my sound of rushing water emanates from my living room wall.

A little while ago, I decided I was going to hang the mirror and picture that have been sitting on the floor feeling unloved and essentially forgotten.  So, after pinpointing where I was to place the nails for the mirror, I started hammering.  The first nail went in completely fine, the second however, hit a snag.  What I had thought was a 2X4 turned out to be a water pipe.

As water streamed onto the lamp, floor, pillows, blankets and couch, the only thing I could think of to do was plug the whole.  With my finger.  I felt like Hans Brinker's Little Dutch Boy, bravely plugging the dyke.  Then the thought came to me, "Who puts a water pipe in a living room?  In an area nowhere near someplace in need of plumbing?"

After informing the apartment manager, the water was turned off long enough for us to place tape over the hole so I didn't have to continue to stand with my finger covering the hole I had made.  Meanwhile, the carpet is completely saturated...I could go swimming if I really wanted to, and since the water has since been turned back on, it will only get worse.  I am envisioning water filling the space in the wall between our apartment and that of our neighbors (who I'm sure will be delighted with the turn of events when they return home).

Not bad for a Thursday afternoon, eh?

No comments: