5.01.2011

History

So today we underwent "the change".  No, not puberty.  That happened long ago.

The change I am referring to is the change instituted for the YSA (Young Single Adult) wards and stakes in the Salt Lake area.  We were encouraged to document this "momentous" occasion in our journals.  And since I don't keep a journal (don't judge), I figured that this is about the closest I get to "journaling", so you guys get to reap the...benefits?

Whatever..anyway.  A large portion of the meeting consisted of our stake being announced (I'm in the Salt Lake Holladay YSA Stake...yes, it's a mouthful, try saying it 10 times, fast) and the wards being delineated.  Then, members of the new stake presidency and the Quorum of the Seventy spoke to us...pretty much about the same things..over and over again.  First, there was how "huge", "momentous", "historical" and "mind blowing" this change was (Okay, so "mind blowing" was my own addition, but it felt like it belonged) and how we should document it (Exhibit A).  Secondly, there was always a reference to their spouse, how they met their spouse, when they met their spouse, how lucky they were to find their spouse, and how much they love their spouse.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spouses!  They're great, grand and wonderful!  However, it almost felt like each speaker was trying to "one up" the speaker before them.

It was slightly humorous to see people squirm in their seats when the subject of "marriage" flew from the pulpit though.  Why are we so silly about things like that?  I mean, yes, I get that we get harped on and sometimes looked down on because of our single status, but these people want us to be happy!  And I know that marriage doesn't automatically make you happy and singlehood means you're an unhappy spinster collecting cats and lace doilies, but it's an essential part of the Plan of Salvation...which is also, ironically, referred to as THE GREAT PLAN OF HAPPINESS!  Just sayin'....

On a serious note, I really enjoyed one speaker who eloquently stated that each of us has an individual "plan of salvation".  Meaning that though all of us were born, and all of us will eventually die, none of us are exactly the same. We all have different feelings, families, experiences and needs, so we can't compare ourselves to someone else.  Not that we "shouldn't", but that we "CAN'T".

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the "historical" moment I took part in today!

3 comments:

jm said...

Bummer, we didn't really get marriage lectures in ours, we more focused on adjusting and bringing back the people who've gotten lost along the way.

Megan is Chuck. Chuck is Megan. said...

Seriously, we really didn't have much of a historial, momumentous occasion. I didn't even realize there was going to be any changes in our ward, except for the name, until several new people popped into your ward yesterday.

Kelly said...

Doesn't "the change" refer to menopause? It was pretty funny how everyone was all squirmy.