5.14.2011

Scritch-Scratch

Now that the weather has taken a turn for the better, and the sun shines, birds chirp and squirrels scamper free, I decided it was time to bust out the hiking shoes.

After looking up a few hikes up Big Cottonwood canyon, I decided that hiking to Dog Lake would be my best bet.  A decent length hike, not too strenuous for my first time back since the snows came, and still would give me plenty of time to do the rest of the things I have planned for today.  

So I left the house at 8:30 and drove up to he trail head.  Only to find it covered in snow.  I couldn't see a trail to save my life, and there were 2 other individuals suffering from the same dilemma.  Being me, I decided I would hike up a little bit and see if I could find the trail a little further on.  Mind you, the snow that is all over the ground is about 2 feet deep (deeper in some places) and is incredibly crusty..which is handy for walking on when it's tightly packed, and scrapes your legs up like sandpaper when it isn't.

After scratching my legs up for a bit, I decided it would be better to just do a different hike and come back to Dog Lake when the snow is gone and the trail is visible.

The drive up the canyon was really pretty though, give me trees, rocks and waterfalls and I'm a happy camper!

No comments: