3.27.2011

Do you hear the people sing?

You know those times when you're sitting in church, and you just can't seem to grasp anything?  It's almost as if the speakers are talking in some foreign language that you can't understand! (You can see where I'm going with this can't you?)

Church amongst the Swiss is something I have done before, so I wasn't completely thrown for a loop (and the fact that LDS church practices don't differ much no matter where you are helps too).  I was able to follow the Sacrament prayers thanks to having memorized them over my 25 years of church attendance.  One of the things I had a hard time with was the hymns.  I love singing the hymns, and have many of them memorized, though when everyone around you is singing in German, and you don't have an English hymnbook, it can lead to either: (A) Humming along with the hymns  (B) Attempting to sing in German--I don't recommend this option, it leads to the butchering of a language  or (C) Mixing up the verses you know in English because you are unsure of which verse comes next--this is generally the most used option next to (A).

I'm sure there were a few people chuckling at my sorry attempts at singing, but I wasn't about to just sit there, I think people look silly if they don't sing during the hymns....yep, the truth is out!  If you're one of those people who keep your mouth shut while everyone else is singing, I think you look a bit ridiculous...I hope you can live with that...or that you'll start singing...one or the other.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Shannon played last Sunday in Sacrament meeting and Whitney wasn't singing (yes, she's one of those) and it was odd to actually hear my voice so loudly. I almost felt like I was shouting.

I think you should have tried to sing in German...how else are you going to pick up the language if you don't practice?