3.30.2011

Insert "The Godfather" soundtrack here...

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse..." -Don Corleone

Okay, so I didn't quite make it to Sicily, but I still had a "Godfather" moment on my brief stint in Italy today.  As I got out of the car at Lake Como, I saw two guys in their finest duds walking by.  One was wearing a blue pinstriped suit, and the other a black suit with a matching hat.  I immediately had a vision of these two heading to some restaurant to meet their cronies, and a violent shoot-out occurring just after the veal arrives at the table (too much Hollywood influence you say?).

My impressions of Italy are thus...

From a distance, it is gorgeous, a beauty you cannot properly capture on film (or in my case, on memory card).

Up close however, things are a bit different, things are pretty dirty, graffittied, run-down and just kinda gross.

Not to mention!  Italian drivers are insane.  INSANE!  All those movies you've seen with cars zipping in and out, going on sidewalks, traveling at seemingly impossible speeds...it's all very very accurate.

I would like to go back someday and see some other cities...Rome, Florence, Milan (which we were actually pretty close to), Naples, Venice...you get the idea.

But for now, I have the work of Nino Rota to remind me of Italia.

No comments: