3.26.2011

The Second Time Around

You may have heard that I'm in Switzerland again.  Not quite sure who spilled the beans on that one....oh wait...that was me.  Nevermind.

Anyway, some of you may know that I suffer from motion sickness.  And when I say suffer, I mean suffer. My last go around with international travel didn't end too happily for my constitution by the time I reached Amsterdam, and when I reached Zurich, I looked and felt positively dreadful.

Though I had (and used) copious amounts of nausea medication on my last trip, I was much more successful with my drug combinations this time.  A couple doses of Bonine, some ginger, and sleeping pills and I was good to go!  So though I did still get uncomfortable with the travel, I was able to keep my wits about me (read: I didn't vomit).

I don't know why I started with the gross stuff, I'm sure none of you want to read about the fact that I don't travel well, but there you have it.

Anyway, after our first flight, the mother and I arrived in Chicago only to find out that our next flight to Toronto was...CANCELLED! Uh oh.  But did we freak out?  Did we lose our cool?  Absolutely not!  Classy broads do not, under any circumstances lose their cool...we are always calm and collected (even when we're nauseous).  So we made our way to the AirCanada counter where this nice young chap, we'll call him Michael (because I think that actually was his name), got us on a direct flight to Zurich and had our luggage moved accordingly, thus saving us the annoying task of collecting it and moving it ourselves.

From there, we went to the SwissAir counter to get our actual tickets taken care of.  The lady at the counter (she doesn't get a name) was less than fun.  She made a big to-do about our carry-on luggage being too big and too heavy (I love how domestic and international standards are different....not really) and how because we already had 2 checked bags apiece, we would most likely be charged in excess of up to $500 for everything.  Remember how Classy Broads don't lose their cool?  I had to remind myself of that fact a couple times...  Anyway, because she was such a "nice" individual, she didn't charge us anything extra and checked our carry-ons for us.

And thus began the long flight, or as I like to refer to it, The Time Adjustment Phase.  I didn't want to arrive in Switzerland and need 2 days to recover and adjust to the time difference (of course this time I wouldn't have cranky babies waking up at extremely odd hours either).

So here we are, in the land of cheese, chocolate, bank accounts and knives!  And apparently I have some ancestors from here too...guess it's meant to be.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Dude...did not think you would be blogging while you're gone. But am very happy that you are!