12.26.2013

Anything you can do...

So I got a Target gift card for Christmas yesterday (how crazy is it that Christmas was just yesterday?), so Bruce and I went and picked up a couple bookcases that I've been wanting for my spare bedroom...to house all my crafting crap...which is kind of all over the place in no real semblance of order.

I've been putting together pre-fabricated furniture for years, for myself and for those I live with who do not feel up to the task.  This began in 2007 when I moved to Salt Lake, and has continued to this day.  I know how to put these things together in my sleep, and I usually put them together mindlessly while I listen to music or watch something on Netflix.

Bruce, however, was kind enough to put them together for me.  It took me a while to fully pass the reigns over to him, and we joked about me being a back-seat furniture builder, but by the second bookcase, I was able to let it go.  I didn't think it would be this difficult to learn to let people help me.  I'm not really used to allowing people help me with things that I've been doing for myself for years, and that I am perfectly capable of doing on my own, but as I apparently need to keep reminding myself, being able to do things for myself is not the point.  Bruce knows I can do things for myself, but he still wants to help me, make things easier for me, and feel needed.

Tonight was a small step in getting over myself.

No comments: