1.27.2014

Crock Pot Turkey Pumpkin Chili

So I'm posting another recipe.

Because I can.

And because it's sometimes difficult coming up with things to write about.

I first made this chili back in October I think, and I made it again yesterday.  It's good for cold fall and winter days.  It's a very mild chili as far as overall heat is concerned, but you can adjust that to your taste preference (which is one of the best things about making soups and chilies).

The best part is that it's made in a crock pot!  I've only ever made one pot of chili on the stove. Ever.  I always use a crock pot.  Best invention ever...

Crock Pot Turkey Pumpkin Chili

Ingredients:

  • 2 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion (chopped)
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 cup taco seasoning (or to taste)
  • 2 (15 oz) cans white beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 15 oz can pumpkin puree
  • 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions:

Cook ground turkey in a large saute pan, breaking it up until it is white and cooked through.  Add to crock pot.  Add oil to the saute pan and add onions and garlic.  Saute 3-4 minutes.  Add cumin and saute another minute or so.  Add to crock pot along with beans, pumpkin, chilies, broth, spices and bay leaves.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Remove bay leaves and adjust seasonings if necessary before serving.

I like to top mine with a little cheddar cheese, but you can also top it with sour cream, green onions, cilantro, or whatever makes you happy.

You should seriously try it though, it's tasty!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

I made your chili last night, although without the turkey. My taco seasoning was pretty spicy but Dad and Dave thought it wasn't too bad. I thought it was pretty good, and I plan to try it again with a milder taco seasoning. Amazing that you can't even taste the pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the pumpkin is just a nice way to throw in an extra vegetable. I usually just guesstimate my ingredients, so I'm glad it worked out for you!